District 7 Meeting Minutes
Thursday, September 4, 2008
(updated on 9/12/08)
Thefall meeting of the District 7 Agricultural Educators was held on September 4,2008 at Licking Valley High School. The meeting was called to order @ 4:01 p.m. by President-Jeff Ellisfollowing a great meal that was provided to us by our FRUIT SUPPLIERS.
- Meal was provided by Bill Diley (DB Yummers), Tim Tosco (Will Fisher), Roy Singleton (Florida Farm Bureau), and Leo George (Florida Fruit Association)
- Bill gave an update during the meal that we need to expect fruit prices to increase due to hurricane damage.
- Please make sure that you are dealing with a fruit company that donates to the Ohio FFA Foundation.
- Statewide kickoff is earlier this year, October 3rd. But feel free to start later if you would like too.
- Welcome new / student teachers
- Josh Bluck--Teays Valley
- Cassandra Yantis—Liberty Union
- Kar-Lyn Lambert—Westfall for this year
- Danielle Hewlett—Clearfork
- Robert Knecht—Eastland Career Center
- Eric Valentine—South-Western Career Academy
- There are a lot of student teachers and early field experiences in our district. Thank you to those cooperating teachers.
- Update was given on Neil Lenhart and his current health condition. Please keep Neil and his family in your prayers and maybe even send a card if you would like too.
- Steve Gratz—Ohio Department of Education
- Visit the web under Teacher Resources for the updated information.
- Contact Universal Lettering if you need any Ohio FFA products.
- Eventually the updated website will have an FFA shopping area on it for Ohio FFA Chapters and members.
- Still need donations for the Dr. Kantner Scholarship that Mark Sanborn started.
- Ohio has quite a few National Finalists for proficiencies.
- Visit Teacher Links on the website for Official Content Standards
- Document is about 200 pages long. Hopefully will be up in about a month on ODE Site. New Content Standards includes Bio-Technology and Food Science. Plant and Animal Science Course in addition to Ag Science for 9th or 10th grades.
- Lead the Way (Pre-Engineering) Program
- The National FFA has a goal of 10,000 programs by 2015.
- There is currently a movement towards TECH PREP.
- To access the course builder from the website you will need the following:
- Username: dev
- Password: pass
- This doesn’t include an instruction manual so you will just need to play around on it until you figure it out. Supposed to be pretty easy.
- 36 unit weeks with benchmarks for 10th, 12th, and associates degree level. You can also share lesson plans. You can link the State OGT standards that can be printed out.
- The proficiency list is up to date.
BUSINESS MEETING MINUTES!!
- Secretary Report
- Moved by Debra Burden to approve minutes. Report will stand as read.
- Treasurer’s Report
- Balance is $2,573.28.
- Reminder that Dues are $.50 per member, due no later than October 31st. You can obtain the invoice from the District 7 webpage.
- Moved by Susan Metzger to approve report. Report will stand as read.
- Reminder to pay your dues as soon as possible.
- Watch your emails for any updates.
- Camp Board
- With the passing of Charlotte, please keep her family in your thoughts and prayers.
- There is a meeting next week so more details will follow later.
- Reminder that State Forestry was changed to Sept. 27th at Hocking College.
- Reminder that Forestry this year is an odd year.
- District Soils will be at OU-Lancaster starting at 9:00 a.m. The practice pit will be open from 8-8:40 a.m. with the contest starting promptly at 9:00 a.m.
- State Soils is also in Fairfield County.
- Knox County Forestry Invitational is at Knox Woods on Sept. 25th at 3:00 p.m.
- Fruit Coordinator
- Expect fruit prices to be up this year because of the hurricane on citrus and frost damage on apples.
- Continue the same as previous years.
- Reminder to check the website for spelling corrections for plaques.
- State Advisory Council / Committee—Loren Young
- If you haven’t seen the remodeled Ohio FFA Center you are encouraged to do so. It looks really nice.
- They are possibly going to combine the State and American Degree pages into the same page.
- There is a possibility of separating the applications.
- It has also been proposed to send 2 applications instead of 3 from the district to the state evaluations.
- Next meeting is September 25th
- Moved by Loren and 2nd by Aaron Hanslemen to move Officer Training to April 16th at Canal Winchester and to hold District Officer Elections at the State Convention. After much discussion the motion FAILED.
- Moved by Scott Sharp and 2nd by Cindy Brill to move Officer Training to Wednesday, April 22nd at Canal Winchester at 4:00 p.m. Motion Passed.
- District Calendar was reviewed. Here are any additions of Corrections:
- Sept. 23rd --District SOILS will start at 9:00 a.m. in Fairfield County
- Sept.25th-Knox County Forestry Invitational at Knox Woods at 3:00 p.m.
- Nov. 11th Ag Communications at Amanda-Clearcreek at 3:30 p.m.
- Nov. 13th Food Science Contest at Zane Trace at 3:00 p.m.
- Dec.2nd-- Parli-Pro Contest at Westfall at 3:00 p.m.
- Jan. 20th -- Job Interview/Ag Sales at Lancaster at 3:00 p.m.
- Feb. 5th -- District Evaluations at Ohio Dept. of Ag at 9:00 a.m.
- Feb. 9th Post Evaluations at Fairfield Union at 3:00 p.m.
- Feb. 17th Public Speaking at Pickaway-Ross at 3:00 p.m.
- Feb. 25th Tractor Trouble Shooting at Pickaway-Ross at 4:00 p.m.
- Mar. 10th Ag Mechanics at Teays Valley at 3:00 p.m.
- April 7th Small Engines at Teays Valley at 3:00 p.m.
- April 22nd Spring District Meeting at Canal Winchester at 4:30 p.m.
It was moved by Rick Metgzer at 6:25 p.m., and 2ndby Steve Priest. Motion passed.
Respectfully Submitted 9/12/08