District 7 Winter Meeting Minutes
2/4/10—Ohio Department of Agriculture
The winter meeting of theDistrict 7 Agricultural Educators / District FFA Evaluations was held onFebruary 4, 2010 at the Ohio Department of Agriculture. The meeting was calledto order at 9:14 a.m. by President—Scott Sharp.
BUSINESS MEETING MINUTES!!
- Welcome with no state portion from Steve Gratz.
- Introductions of all staff and the new staff.
- Eastland—Bob Knect
- Logan Elm—Lindsey Regula
- Liberty Union—Chris Turner
- Westfall—Rachel Garrett
- Secretary Report—Absent.
- TreasurerŐs Report—Susan Metzger
- Balance is $1,921.90
- For those that havenŐt paid their dues please do ASAP.
- Reminder that Susan is now at Pickaway-Ross and no longer at Logan Elm so please make sure that your school treasurer has the new address on file for the future dues.
- Lunch from Subway was paid out of the account.
- Moved by Susan Metzger to approve report. Report will stand as read.
- OAAE – Please pay your dues if you havenŐt already. DonŐt forget that you can use the 0.57 dollars to do so.
- Camp Board—Scott Sharp
- Scott was to attend a meeting on February 5th.
- The camp might possibly be purchasing the land across the lake that has a lodge and some acres that will be available for year-round usage if the deal goes through.
- See website for upcoming dates on Fall Camp.
- CDE—Tom Holton
- AIDS—be sure to register, registration is Feb. 8th, test 10th, and it counts as a District contest.
- Check website for all contest information.
- Upcoming CDE meeting will be March 17th.
- There is a practice test posted a few days in advance to work computer problems out before test day.
- SAE server—Check Jim OdgenŐs website and Jeff Tilley will post on District website.
- There is 1 fee to do both the online test and the visual contest (must do both).
- District Webpage Report—Jeff Tilley
- Please check periodically to verify spellings of participant names so that correct awards can be completed.
- Trophies will continue the same as in the past.
- Foundation—Cassie reminded everyone to check the Foundation Link and purchase your FFA Tractors.
- Alumni—Dues are due by March 1st
á Reminder that FFA Chapters areencouraged to become Farm Bureau Members and please help encourage others tojoin as well.
á Refine calendar as needed.
- A suggestion was made to look at changing the day of the Tractor Trouble Shooting contest next year.
- Reminder that transcripts are due at 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, February 11th and your can email (preferred) or fax to 740-969-7381.
á Officer Training is at 4:00 p.m.at Fairfield Union and should be done by 5:30 p.m. The district will pay forthe pop and Loren/his wife will supply the cookies. Fairfield UnionŐs oldschool has been torn down so please go on down the road to the new school. Asyou pull in the front entrance bear to the right until you see the greenhouseand 2 big garage doors and enter through the Ag door and shops.
á District President Elections willnow be held at the State FFA Convention in May.
á Leadership Night at Licking Valleyon March 9th at 6:00 p.m. Contact Jeff Ellis for more information.
á Cassie Palsgrove expressed aconcern regarding looking at the Extemporaneous topics and the concern that thestate committee still hasnŐt met yet.
á Eric Valentine is consideringhosting a Nursery Landscape Contest the 3rd week in December nextyear to help District 7 prepare for the State Competition. This would be aninvitational contest.
á Items for Delegate Council / StateCDE—
o Rick Metzger moved that the Parli-Pro rubric bemodified to state the questions and state the rules and do away with verbalquestions and go to an online/written test and reduce the weighted points ofthe questions. 2nd by Cassie Palsgrove. Motion PASSED.
o Aaron Hanselman moved that the registration window beopen a minimum of 2 days and end no sooner than 2 days prior to the onlinetesting date. 2nd by Jennifer Johnston. Motion PASSED.
o Steve Priest moved that the contests that you have tophysically show up to that those test be done at the contest and not online,and only complete a written test contest online. 2nd by AaronHanselman. Motion PASSED.
o Cyndi Brill moved that if your school is closed on theonline testing day that they open up the window the next day that the school isin session. 2nd by Jeff Tilley. Motion PASSED.
o Jeff Tilley moved that for State Degree Requirementsthat students can not count online testing as a contest if they didnŐt attendand participate in the actual contest for CDE requirements. (Such as DairyCattle, General Livestock, etc.) 2nd by Steve Priest. Item wasdiscussed but no vote was taken since State Degrees arenŐt up for changes thisyear.
o Post-Evaluations will be at Fairfield Union from 3-4:00p.m. on February 8th.
o Congratulations to Chuck Miller who is retiring in afew days.
o Jeff Ellis moved to adjourn for District Evaluations. 2nd by Ryan Rismiller. Motion Passed and adjourned at 10:35 a.m.
Respectfully Submitted, Sabrina Piper